PDA

View Full Version : What is you're favorite setting?

NuttyNutts
10-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Do you have any favorite settings that would instantly make the show interesting to you, such as historical, modern, futuristic, fantasy, supernatural (if there is a difference to fantasy), rural, small town, big city, in specific parts of the world, in space, other worlds or dimensions, or anywhere else that you can think of ?

Also include in your post what anime your example comes from as well as a couple reasons why you prefer it over others.

Bonus points if you can think of more types of settings.

VanSendrel
12-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Slice-of-life... a young adult person living alone in a apartment :)

kakashi19283
12-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Adventure. And by adventure, I mean travelling - like Inuyasha.

hakaihisaki
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Fantasy - fighting with magic - like fairy tail:burn:

nelkk
12-16-2013, 06:23 AM
It has to be the adventure setting, where the world has lots of towns or cities or even countries. Where our main characters travel around a lot to each town or city gathering all kinds of stuff, be it more members in their team or some kind of info.

Close examples to this would be,
Magi (mostly the dungeon parts here, where they gain a treasure at completing the dungeon)
Arata Kangatari (even though the anime, story and characters themselves were nothing special)
One Piece (Characters gain new members, weapons, and other kinds of stuff as they visit each island)
Kino no Tabi (The MC travels to each country and encounters all kinds of situations and people)
Mushishi

Aside from that, I like myself high school settings too, but that depends on the characters, the romance or comedy or the sports. If all that is boring then the whole setting is ruined. Most anime have the setting of characters in a club, that is not really my thing. Kokoro Connect had that setting, but the drama and characters made up for it and that's what made it enjoyable.

I also like settings where character are adults and are shown in their workplaces. Although there's not much anime like that and a lot of manga titles come to mind, but there was one which I quite enjoyed because I could relate to it. Hataraki Man had that setting, and was realistic as well.

Jason
12-16-2013, 12:52 PM
An everyday life(seinen) setting.

NuttyNutts
02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Might as well answer my own question to bump it higher on to the first page again.

I typical like some sort of fantasy / fiction that has a setting that changes a few things about the environment, tells you in the first few episodes, then stick to those principles the entire show and don't try to insert new things in the middle of it that completely depart from the established rules. so a few example categories and some guidelines they have to follow

Space
-lots of empty space and llloooonnnggg distances between each interesting/inhabited planet,
-air tight compartments that result in instant death for unprotected passengers in the instant of a leak.
- it is expensive to lift objects into space / so don't create too many ships unless you have an entire empire directed to that one goal, otherwise the ships will be hastily made with several jury rig, but effective, repairs.

Good examples are Planetes, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Cowboy Bebop, 1st part of Memories, and Outlaw Star.

Ones that don't quite pull it off are Gurren Lagann,

Insert of some technology
this then becomes the backbone of society, but isn't blatantly obvious past the first introduction.
- cyberpunk (advanced technology we can imagine in 50 years)
so lots of Androids / cybernetic enhancements / amputations replacements
examples - Eve no Jikan, Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, Psycho Pass
-Enhanced user interfaces with computers
examples - Glasses from Dennou Coil,
implanted computers in Accel World,
senses trapping game console from Sword Art Online.
augmented reality phone application Robotics;Notes

Or just plain fantasy
often that explains away something cool with magic / eventual common genetic mutation / or too advanced technology that doesn't try to explain itself too much and rolls with it
examples - Shinskai Yori's telepathy , Kaiba's memory chip, Steins;Gate's Time machine / Dmail, and many of Miyazaki's with Kiki's delivery service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away.

Boogie
02-19-2014, 11:04 PM
There's not enough anime with fantasy settings. Settings like the ones from Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu or Berserk. Though, I do believe Toaru Majutsu no Index's Academy City is the best setting of any anime.

-Omega-
02-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Space
-lots of empty space and llloooonnnggg distances between each interesting/inhabited planet,
-air tight compartments that result in instant death for unprotected passengers in the instant of a leak.
- it is expensive to lift objects into space / so don't create too many ships unless you have an entire empire directed to that one goal, otherwise the ships will be hastily made with several jury rig, but effective, repairs.

Good examples are Planetes, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Cowboy Bebop, 1st part of Memories, and Outlaw Star.

Ones that don't quite pull it off are Gurren Lagann,

Insert of some technology
this then becomes the backbone of society, but isn't blatantly obvious past the first introduction.
- cyberpunk (advanced technology we can imagine in 50 years)
so lots of Androids / cybernetic enhancements / amputations replacements
examples - Eve no Jikan, Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, Psycho Pass
-Enhanced user interfaces with computers
examples - Glasses from Dennou Coil,
implanted computers in Accel World,
senses trapping game console from Sword Art Online.
augmented reality phone application Robotics;Notes

Or just plain fantasy
often that explains away something cool with magic / eventual common genetic mutation / or too advanced technology that doesn't try to explain itself too much and rolls with it
examples - Shinskai Yori's telepathy , Kaiba's memory chip, Steins;Gate's Time machine / Dmail, and many of Miyazaki's with Kiki's delivery service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away.

Well, you basically listed my preferred settings. I'll offer up a third one. That would be an urban setting complete with bright lights, bustling street life, and towering buildings.