Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

My first PC build!

Hello everyone!
    I decided to make a thread for this since the blog was getting extremely long and it was really hard to quote everything on it.
    So this will be my base of operations for my first pc build!
    I've gotten a lot of great advice so far and I'm really happy to have as much knowledge as I have now. With all that I've learned so far, I'm going to restart my build because it was full of unnecessary things and whatnot.

So here's a question, if I'm not going to have an optical drive, then I'm going to need a USB stick with my OS on it. How would I get that info from the disk on to the USB? Obviously I know that I have to use my other laptop to do this.

This was the last big quote on my blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Arcelie;bt8821
    Come on, dude just use Steam it's way, way cheaper. The sales are great
    Lol alright alright, I will
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyketh;bt8822
    Newegg has been running a lot of sales on SSDs currently, so you can get a small-ish one for cheap where you can install your OS and most used programs on, so you can launch them really fast. And then you can buy a cheap HDD that's like 2tb or 3tb for all of your other stuff. That's what I did, and it only cost me around ~$120 for a 128gig SSD and a 3tb HDD.

Well, if you're using League of Legends, you honestly do not need that much to run it optimally. I ran it on max graphics with just a Core 2 duo (a really shitty processor) and a 550Ti. The GPU, which is the video card, was what allowed me to do so. You don't want to necessarily skimp out on your GPU, but you want both a decent CPU and GPU.

As for what you want to do with RAM, 8gigs is all you need to do that. I run two monitors, have a stream up on one, youtube playing on another, browse AF, reddit, other such nonsense without closing them while on Chrome, which takes up a lot of memory. And then I run League which is also memory intensive, because the client sucks, while using Skype, Steam, and other programs, and I don't ever go over 50% of my RAM usage. 8 is plenty, unless you're looking into Fallout 4 which apparently requires 8gigs minimum. >_>
    Ok I like the idea of getting the SSD to install the OS on. Sounds really good!
    I'll have to rethink my CPU and GPU then...
    Thank you thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake;bt8823
    Hey, there's a step by step on here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...orage-set.html.

Yeh there's no need to ball out on the SSD, 120 gb is fine. Keep everything else on your 2 tb HDD.
    Awesome! Thank you very much! This seems pretty easy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erebus;bt8825
    wish I had seen this sooner, thinking about buying something for myself so I'm kind into it lately, not sure about the prices though in US so gonna talk more general

first you cut out whats not necessary at the moment
    CPU cooler can wait unless you plan to OC, but its not much as I see, I'm not familiar with brands though
    1 8GB stick of RAM is also enough for 90% of the games on FHD, you can easily add more later
    2 TB is useless to most people, unless you plan do DL some serious stuff, better invest in SSD
    you put 500w psu on a gpu that uses 30w under load, check stuff like that beforehand
    ODD can also be put later, unless you really need it
    case is a little too expensive
    sound card and wireless adapter, I dont think you need to buy them separately, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think those are alredy on mobo
    dont waste money on OS, esp since we are all gonna be on win 10 in a year or 2
    and you wont be doing much gaming with that gpu

for that price you can get something like this
    1 x Intel Core i5-4460 (3.20GHz,1MB,6MB,84 W,1150) Box
    1 x MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5, N750Ti-2GD5/OCV1, Dual-link DVI-D x 1
    1 x DDR3 4GB (1x4GB) Kingston, 1600MHz, CL11, Value
    1 x MS VOYAGER midi tower, no PSU
    1 x PSU FORTRON 400W, HEXA Plus 400, 12cm fan
    1 x Asrock H81M-HDS, s1150, Intel H81, M-ATX, Dual Channel 2xDDR3
    1 x TOSHIBA 1TB, 7200rpm, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB, DT01ACA100

or AMD

1 x Gigabyte 970A-DS3P, AM3+, AMD 970 SB950, 4x DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866
    1 x AMD FX-Series X8 8300 3.3GHz,16MB,125W,AM3+, FD8300WMHK
    1 x MSI GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5, N750Ti-2GD5/OCV1, Dual-link DVI-D x 1
    1 x PSU FORTRON 400W, HEXA Plus 400, 12cm fan
    2 x DDR3 4GB (1x4GB) Kingston, 1600MHz, CL11, Value
    1 x MS PHOENIX case no PSU, Midi tower MBO: ATX, mATX
    1 x HDD Seagate 1TB, Serial ATA III, 7200 rpm, ST1000DM003
    1 x LC Power Cosmo Cool, 92 mm, Hydraulic bearing, 800-2200 rpm,

are you sure that 32'' TV is 720p? if yes, add 30$ on that 650$ and get yourself some FHD monitor

Definitely no need to OC because I don't know what that does and I probably won't need such a thing.
    For the OS, well the only thing is that I'm not really a big fan of Windows 10 and 8 was a nightmare. Windows 7 was very easy to use and I'm familiar with it. Plus, wouldn't it be cheaper?
    I'll definitely look into getting a better GPU. Also i'll look into what kind of power supply I'll actually need.
    This was really helpful, I really appreciate it! I think I'm gonna start a thread for this because I'm tired of using this blog lol

I'm clearing my list now and going to start fresh. I can't leave it as is anymore lol

I started a new list and I'm stuck trying to figure out what GPU I'd like. I really don't want it over $150.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LLLHyc

Blog Entries
    So the SSd for windows is ok
    Hdd is also ok

I have the same processor but I have to warn you. Its fan is fcking ridiculous( This also depends on what are you going to do with the cpu - still, the stock fan' noise? - like a freaking airplane). You should get an aftermarket one.

Regarding the OS...did you buy it or something?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...load-tool.html
    Part 2 on this page tells you step by step how to create bootable USB flash drive.

GPU...if you can find a GTX 950 under 150 bucks it should be more than great

Blog Entries
    And if you cant get 950 gtx, r7 265 should do the job just as good

Both should be okay with 400w psu, just get something good, like seasonic, or at least to have 80% certificate

And suggesting getting 1x8GB ram stick for a little "future proofing"

Also count in some case fans, 5 bucks a piece, unless you get built in ones with case
    Last edited by Erebus; 10-12-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    https://twitter.com/Erebus2509

set by Freya

♫* Hime, hime, daisuki!*♫
    "Spread the otaku ways!"

Quote Originally Posted by MarianSony View Post
    So the SSd for windows is ok
    Hdd is also ok

I have the same processor but I have to warn you. Its fan is fcking ridiculous( This also depends on what are you going to do with the cpu - still, the stock fan' noise? - like a freaking airplane). You should get an aftermarket one.

Regarding the OS...did you buy it or something?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...load-tool.html
    Part 2 on this page tells you step by step how to create bootable USB flash drive.

GPU...if you can find a GTX 950 under 150 bucks it should be more than great
    Damn, is it really that bad? Could I replace the fan on the processor?
    I have not bought the OS, that's why I'm tying to figure out if getting Windows 7 is alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    And if you cant get 950 gtx, r7 265 should do the job just as good

Both should be okay with 400w psu, just get something good, like seasonic, or at least to have 80% certificate

And suggesting getting 1x8GB ram stick for a little "future proofing"

Also count in some case fans, 5 bucks a piece, unless you get built in ones with case
    Alright, I'll look for a gpu around that.
    By future proofing, do you mean like so that it's easier to upgrade in the future?
    Ok, I'll definitely get some fans

togashi graped me #hiatus Arcelie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Windows 7 is the most stable and supported gaming OS. overall a great OS many people and I won't budge from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pspfanatic View Post
    I have not bought the OS, that's why I'm tying to figure out if getting Windows 7 is alright.
    lol the processor self doesn't have fans. It comes with a heat sink you mount on top the processor to cool it. If the stock one is **** you buy a better one.
    Last edited by Arcelie; 10-12-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries

By future proofing, do you mean like so that it's easier to upgrade in the future?
    You won't lose any warranty. Besides that, why replacement? You put it just like a normal fan. The stock fan doesn't come applied on the cpu xD
    Windows 7 the best. I 've never had problems with it for years( I think since its launch date). Windows 8 is crap and windows 10 even crappier.
    I recommend 2x4 gb ram
    If one stick goes nuts/bad you can always rely on the other stick until you buy another one. If you buy one 8GB stick and later has problems...that's a little problematic. Anyways that's my opinion...also it's cheaper this way :d
    Last edited by MarianSony; 10-12-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Blog Entries

cpu doesnt have a fan per se, it has a cooler with a fan, unless you go watercooling
    when you buy cpu you get a stock cooler, which is noisy as croc said, but will do the job
    its suggested you replace it with aftermarket one, but its not a priority that you need to save money on other components to get it

yes, easier to upgrade
    your mobo has dual channel, meaning its optomized to run with 2 RAM sticks, and if you ever wish to add more memory, its easier if you get 8GB stick now
    although you can get by cheaper with 2x4GB RAM pack
    https://twitter.com/Erebus2509

set by Freya

♫* Hime, hime, daisuki!*♫
    "Spread the otaku ways!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    cpu doesnt have a fan per se, it has a cooler with a fan, unless you go watercooling
    when you buy cpu you get a stock cooler, which is noisy as croc said, but will do the job
    its suggested you replace it with aftermarket one, but its not a priority that you need to save money on other components to get it

yes, easier to upgrade
    your mobo has dual channel, meaning its optomized to run with 2 RAM sticks, and if you ever wish to add more memory, its easier if you get 8GB stick now
    although you can get by cheaper with 2x4GB RAM pack
    yeah I meant cooler. I'm too tired xD
    The stock cooler will do just fine only if the case has min 3 fans ( I suggest 120 mm ones )